"I believe in a country where hard work and merit, not privilege or background, determines success."
Tony Blair 2005

Thursday, May 13, 2004

The continuing misery of doctors

In the NST letter section,

Long wait to get into government medical service
May 13:
"COME to Malaysia. Being a doctor here is great," my parents-in-law persuaded me. They assured me a medical doctor is highly sought-after by the Government and I would have no problem getting employment and permanent residency in this country.

Life hasn’t been anywhere close to what they promised. My husband, a Malaysian, is currently working as a medical officer (MO) with a meagre salary compared to what he could have earned in developed countries.

Me? While the Malaysian Government was busy recruiting foreign doctors from Egypt, India, Pakistan and Myanmar, it has given me, an Australian with a medical degree from the University of Melbourne, less of a priority. As a result, I have been in this country for almost a year, still waiting for my application to reach the end of the very long red tape.
..........................


This reflects a sorry state of affairs involving our Health Ministry and the Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam(JPA). Some policies just defies logic. It displays the haphazardness in the current administration. Welcome to Malaysia , I say.

Medical Officers here are poorly treated and the benefits does little justice to the profession. The compulsory service is, sad to say, not universally practised. The evidence of cronyism is abundant. The traces of racial devide still lingers. The writer of the letter was obviously deluded by the parents-in-law in saying, "being a doctor here is great". This is far from the truth especially if you have to deal with the Health Ministry.

Contract doctors in Malaysia have been known to perform poorly due to, in most instances ,the language barrier. On many occasions as well, the practices differ due to the differing disease demographics in their home country. What puzzles me is that we are recruiting these doctors without first subjecting them to a stringent standard. It seems that the Government would like to make their path as easy as possible,thus to make Malaysia a more attractive destination. I beg to differ. I think that if doctors from overseas would like to practice here, they should be subjected to a common standard. This is the pre requisite in many other countries eg US, Canada and UK. Why are we treating foreign doctors better than we treat our own? Why does the Government have money to splash on these doctors when they are reluctant to increase the salary and thus keep more doctors in the service and probably attract more Malaysians back from faraway countries?

Despite vehement denials, there is an obvious lack of transparency and meritocracy in the current administration in Malaysia. If I had known these , I would not have returned myself. And my advice to those overseas, stay there!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Me
Links
Mail & IM






My status

drcheah 17391153



This site is powered by the ICQ2Go Panel © 2002 ICQ Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use of ICQ2Go Panel is subject to the ICQ Terms of Service.

Guestbook & MISC



The GMBL [?]
[random go!] Add me!

Powered by Blogger


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Also Contributes to

Generate your own e-mail logo here